About Jan Meininghaus
As a child from the '70s, teenager of the '80s, I spent my youth reading comic books, riding BMX-bikes and playing arcade games. I loved watching The Dukes of Hazzard and action-packed movies like Cannonball Run and Star Wars.
I began my illustration career with the age of 16, designing rock posters and album artwork for the bands in my hometown. Several years before iMacs and Photoshop revolutionized the industry, I was one of the lucky illustrators that learned to create art traditionally just by hand using Airbrush, Letraset-Letters and Copic-Markers. Taking my art to the next level with digital techniques, I quickly gained new clients from youth culture related labels to blue chip brands aiming to reach a stylish and cutting-edge audience. With my underground roots always shining through, my illustrative style is rough, raw and edgy. The female protagonists are more switchblade sisters than innocent cuties and I always have a focus on transferring the high-impact energy of my favorite car-chase movies and Rock 'n' Roll attitude to my work.
I work in various techniques, from painting to digital, but I'm always adding my experience in filmmaking, model photo-shoots and advertising layouts to keep my work vibrant, unique and alive. For me it is never a job, but an extension of my life. A dream came true!
I live in Germany and works for a wide range of clients in Europe and the US.
- Tools: Pencils, Brushes, Wacom Tablet
- Gallery: Copronason
- Shop: Buchhandlung König, Amoeba Music, L.A.
- Bar: Soul Hellcafe in Essen
Some selected Clients:
- Fashion: Custo Barcelona, Ed Roth clothing, Tribal Gear, Sullen Art Collective, Titus, TSG, King Kerosin, Omaha fashion, InScene/Karstadt, Homeboy, Trash Mark, Nastrovje Potsdam, EMP
- AD Agencies: BBDO, McCann Erickson, Jung von Matt, Ogilvy & Mather, Heimat Berlin, Zum goldenen Hirschen, Springer & Jacobi
- Editorial: GQ-Magazine, Nitro Magazine, Welt am Sonntag, Motoraver, Axel Springer Young Mediahouse, VGS/egmont-ehapa, Getty Images, MTV, ZDF
- Entertainment: EMI, Nuclear Blast Records, Reakktor Software, Vivendi Universal, Blue Byte Software, RTL online, BMG
- Brands: Sony Walkman, Opel DTM, Audi, Ford, Smart, Campari, Pernod, Freixenet